Re: i18n online documentation

From: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(dot)lelarge(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>, "PgAdmin Hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: i18n online documentation
Date: 2006-05-09 20:22:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2006/5/9, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>:
> > Sorry for the noise, I need a refresh on the project I think:
> > I can't find hhp files for the fr_FR and other languages,
> > what is missing in our development process to get these files
> > translated?
>
> There lies a massive problem. The code will automatically use localised docs if it
> can find them, but that requires that the entire (ie. pgAdmin, Slony and
> PostgreSQL) docset is translated. That's not the real problem though - the real
> issue is when we do a release of pgInstaller, we have perhaps a week to bring
> everything into sync and get it out of the door. For the non-windows users, the
> pgAdmin chm/hhp file *is* the documentation for the Windows version of
> PostgreSQL.
>
> I suppose we could only ship the English docs with pgInstaller, but that still
> leaves a potential problem bringing everything into sync for pgAdmin-only
> releases. What I think we perhaps need to look at is making the localised docs a
> runtime-downloadable component, so that we can release them seperately and
> make it clear to the user before they download what version of each set of docs
> is available to them in the set.

Perhaps is it possible to ask the user at install time ? I mean, the
user installs pgAdmin software with the installer, the installer asks
him if he wants to get a localized help file. If the user agrees, the
installer shows him all languages available. When the user finally
choose his language, the installer downloads the files and installs
them.

--
Guillaume.