Re: Schema bug

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(dot)lelarge(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema bug
Date: 2005-12-07 07:31:31
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2005/12/7, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>:
> Guillaume LELARGE wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found a weird bug today. If you rename the public schema, it becomes
> > unavailable. Here is a patch to fix it. It modifies the query to use the oid
> > instead of the schema's name. Works great on Linux, should'nt be a problem on
> > win32.
>
> Actually, to me renaming the public schema appears as the primary bug...
> There are many ways to corrupt pgAdmin's behaviour, and you found one of
> 'em. Renaming public is so irregular, I doubt it's worth changing the
> behaviour.

If you're right, pgAdmin should not allow to change the public schema's name.

It's really dangerous if renamming/dropping the public shema's name
can corrupt pgAdmin's behavior. PostgreSQL's documentation says :
There is nothing special about the public schema except that it exists
by default. It can be dropped, too. (see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-schemas.html#DDL-SCHEMAS-PATH)

It even says that : Also, there is no concept of a public schema in
the SQL standard. For maximum conformance to the standard, you should
not use (perhaps even remove) the public schema. (see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-schemas.html#DDL-SCHEMAS-PORTABILITY)

Regards.

--
Guillaume.