Re: Expanded information template

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgresCluster ML <pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Expanded information template
Date: 2010-03-03 18:32:22
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers
On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:19 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I've expanded the template for information about clustering projects:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Clustering#Template_for_information
>
> Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be trying to fill out this template
> for existing projects I know.  If any of the project members themselves
> can get the additional information, that's great.

I have Slony partly filled in; some of the description material needs
to be filled in, and that'll take a bit longer.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slony

A thing that would seem useful to add in would be a section that might
be called "PostgreSQL Infrastructure" to describe vital things that
either:

a) The system uses, that are "edges" of PostgreSQL.  For instance,
several of the trigger-based replication systems use the txid type
added in PostgreSQL 8.3

b) The system might benefit from, should it become available.

For instance, I'd expect it to simplify Slony-I if we had, available
to us, commit timestamps.  That could mostly get rid of the need for
"Sync" events.

The "txid" functionality contributed by the Skype folk eliminated some
kludgy bits of Slony-I (as mentioned in a)).

ON TRUNCATE triggers should become useful (tho usage hasn't been
implemented yet).

Having ON DDL triggers (or something of the sort) would make it
plausible to automatically capture DDL changes.