Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-02-02 21:54:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> So, what do people say? Is Postgres perfect in your world or does it do some
> things which rub you the wrong way?

Things I'd particularly like to have that aren't entirely on the map yet:

- In place upgrade
- Stored procedures that can manage transactions (e.g. - contrast with
present stored functions that forcibly live *inside* a transaction
context; the point isn't functions vs procedures, but rather to have
something that can do txn management)

I'd expect that txn-managing procedures could then enable various
sorts of usages involving other interesting bits:
- Managing 2PC
- Managing NOTIFY/LISTEN
- Managing jobs (e.g. - "pgcron")
- Using dblink()/SQL-MED to manage cross-DB work

I'd expect these all to be the sorts of side-effects enabled by the
one change...
Calvin Trillin - "Health food makes me sick."