Re: postgresql and xfs filesystrem

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ezra Taylor <ezra(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql and xfs filesystrem
Date: 2009-01-25 19:06:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Ezra Taylor <ezra(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> All:
> Do any of you have gripes about using XFS with the latest version of
> postgres?

I'd not expect there to be much specific benefit to it...

I did some benchmarking, now quite a while ago, which showed XFS to
be, for a totally write-bound workload, a *few* percent better than
ext3/JFS, but note that this is only a minor difference.

The fact that XFS isn't one of the "more highly supported" filesystems
on Linux is something I'd consider a *way* more important factor.

When balancing "oh, maybe a tiny percentage faster" against "oh,
nobody will be in a position to offer much support if anything goes
wrong," I'll take "easier to support" any day.

Robert Benchley - "Drawing on my fine command of the English
language, I said nothing."