Re: Postgre SQL 7.1 cygwin performance issue.

From: "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ravindran G - TLS, Chennai(dot)" <ravindran_g(at)hcl(dot)in>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgre SQL 7.1 cygwin performance issue.
Date: 2006-08-28 14:17:51
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 8/28/06, Ravindran G - TLS, Chennai. <ravindran_g(at)hcl(dot)in> wrote:
> Thanks Alvaro.
>
> We are using PostgreSQL 7.1 cygwin installed on Windows 2000.
>
> We understand that the maximum connections that can be set is 64 in
> Postgresql 7.1 version.
>
> But our application is installed in 8 / 10 PC or more than that and it opens
> multiple connections and it exceeds 64.
>
> Because of this the subsequent connections are failed to connect with DB
> from application.
>
> Please advise us on how to resolve this ?.

I don't think you have any answer other than to migrate to a
better-supportable version of PostgreSQL.

The last release of 7.1 was in August 2001; you're using a version
that is now over five years old, with known "it'll eat your data"
problems.  That is why there have been some fifty-odd subsequent
releases.

The right answer is to arrange for an upgrade to a much less antiquated version.

You're going to be pretty well restricted to the 64 connections until
you upgrade to a more recent version.

There is an alternative:  You could migrate to some Unix-like platform
(such as Linux or FreeBSD) where version 7.1.3 could in fact support
more than 64 connections.
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.