Re: connecting to linux server from windows xp

From: Sebastian Scarano <opensas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connecting to linux server from windows xp
Date: 2005-11-14 09:17:49
Lists: pgsql-novice
With the help of Andreas, I could finally connect a from a guest xp running
with vmware inside a host xp machine

Now I'm trying to do the same with a host gentoo box and a guest xp SP1

this is my pg_hba.conf

tux data # cat pg_hba.conf | tail -n 8

local all all trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all <> trust
host all all <> md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 trust

my postgresql.conf

tux data # cat postgresql.conf | grep listen
# "pg_ctl reload". Some settings, such as listen_address, require
listen_addresses = '*'
#listen_addresses = 'localhost' # what IP interface(s) to listen on;

and my /etc/conf.d/postgresql

tux data # cat /etc/conf.d/postgresql
# PostgreSQL's Database Directory

# Logfile path: (NOTE: This must be uid/gid owned by the value of $PGUSER!)

# Run the PostgreSQL user as:

# Extra options to run postmaster with.
# If you want to enable TCP/IP for PostgreSQL, add -i to the following:
#PGOPTS="-N 1024 -B 2048 -i"

I have the xp guest configured to use NAT network connection, and in the
host file I've configured the ip address of the host.

I can ping each other by ip address or name, thanks to the hosts file in
both machines

(pinging from the host)

tux data # ping xp
PING xp ( <>) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from xp ( <>): icmp_seq=1
ttl=128 time=1.42 ms
64 bytes from xp ( <>): icmp_seq=2
ttl=128 time=0.148 ms

When I try to connect from the host using pgaminIII for windows, I get the
following error:

"Server not listening"

Am I missing something???