We are looking for a DBA. Looking forward to hearing from you!
PostgreSQL Production DBA
EzRez (www.ezrez.com), "The leading SaaS for online travel," is a
Software as a Service company that helps any business enhance its Web
presence with intelligent and easy packaging and selling of air,
hotel, rental car, vacation activities, and other related travel
components for customers to purchase online or through a travel agent.
In addition to packaging and merchandising solutions, EzRez offers the
needed inventory through direct access to its vast network of
travel-related services and distributors, helping to broaden offerings
and lower distribution costs while increasing efficiency. In August
2007 we secured $15 million in a second round of funding, and our
partners include: JetBlue, American Airlines Vacations, and Starwood
The DBA will work on PostgreSQL performance tuning, administration,
backups, scripting and processing data, data warehousing, and lead
redundancy, replication and availability strategies. The DBA works
collaboratively with other members of the IT team and engineering to
implement DB availability options to address 4 nines SLA.
* Linux shell scripting / perl scripting / data processing
* Transaction SQL and stored procedure development.
* Implement, manage and monitor databases in production
* Perform physical implementation of database design from
PostgreSQL server installation to database object creation.
* Design databases and integrate with engineering.
* Install, manage, maintain, and troubleshoot databases and data
models that support business, web, and data warehouse applications.
* Manage the multiple PostgreSQL databases, ensuring that all
servers are operational 24x7x365 and all jobs were completed.
* Assume responsibility for backup and recovery, sizing, security,
replication, database optimization, schema creation and maintenance,
as well as SQL tuning and code optimization.
* Resolve complex database problems through research, analysis and
* Conduct performance tuning and upgrade the SQL servers to the
latest version of PostgreSQL.
* Establish policies and procedures pertaining to the database
management, security, maintenance and utilization.
* Lead the DB architecture to design for high availability and reliability.
* Tune the PostgreSQL database to meet new functional and
* Perform database monitoring, maintenance, reorganizations,
resource management, schema management, and capacity planning
* Performance tuning for the company's databases; database and SQL tuning
* Implement and maintain disaster recovery plans for critical
production databases and applications
* B.S. degree in computer science & Expert knowledge of PostgreSQL
* Must have done PostgreSQL migrations from 7.x to 8.x
* Must have 5+ years of PostgreSQL administration, SQL,
performance tuning in a customer facing production environment
(24x7x365) with increasingly complex DBA assignments meeting the 24x7
* Strong domain experience in PostgreSQL tools like Longiste/Slony
* Must be very strong in PostgreSQL 8.x DB administration,
performance tuning and replication.
* Very Strong SQL knowledge.
* Worked in a customer facing SaaS production environment 24x7x365
* Knowledge of data modeling, triggers, stored procedures.
* Strong UNIX/Linux knowledge and experience essential.
* Ability to work independently is a must.
* Excellent communication skills in both oral and written English.
* Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work cooperatively
and communicate effectively with customers and staff in a
* Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of DB scoping,
profiling, scaling and fault tolerant operation
* Proven knowledge and understanding of enterprise scaled servers
* Experienced with disciplined DBA methodologies including
development and operational considerations
* Ability to provide support for development, test, and production
environments, including setup of new servers, databases, and objects
within the database.
* Experience in software development using Perl, Shell, or other
* Passionate about enterprise class database construction,
deployment and operation, openness to learning new ways of thinking
* Responsible for multiple DB solutions in deployed products;
* Expert in development and operation of PostgreSQL databases
* Consistently learning about trends and features in DB solutions,
able to bring best practices to bear at solving database and overall
* Strong commitment to personal excellence and high quality
database construction and administration standards
* A team player with a *can do* attitude when handling operations
requirements and project timelines
* Solution focused and methodical, careful attention to detail
* Solid background using UNIX operating systems - Linux a plus
* Familiar with Agile (eXtreme Programming, TDD... etc) process a plus
* Obsessed with elephants a plus
How to Apply
Please email your resume (as an attachment) to cooljobs(at)ezrez(dot)com with
the subject "DBA" for immediate consideration. Please note that at
this time we are not considering candidates that will require employer
sponsorship to work in the United States. No calls from
recruiters/agencies please. EzRez Software is an equal opportunity
sfpug by date
|Next:||From: Josh Berkus||Date: 2008-11-17 20:41:16|
|Subject: Reminder: meeting tommorrow night|
|Previous:||From: Josh Berkus||Date: 2008-10-16 20:11:22|
|Subject: [job] PostGIS expert wanted|