Re: Snow Leopard-how to get PG 8.4 to start up on demand?

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Michael Kohout <mwkohout(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Snow Leopard-how to get PG 8.4 to start up on demand?
Date: 2010-02-07 03:07:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Michael Kohout <mwkohout(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi All;
>
> I've got a development box that I use for a bunch of other purposes(mostly
> music), and I was wondering if there was a way to configure launchd to only
> start up postgres when it's needed. SSH does the same thing so I've tried
> to fashion a plist for this purpose modeled after that(on my box it's
> located at /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ssh.plist) but something is wrong.
> PGAdmin 3 errors out when I try to connect.
>
> Below is my nonworking plist. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm
> doing wrong?

PostgreSQL is a relational database system, very different than an
on-demand type of service. The engine is really built to come online and
stay online. I wouldn't recommend setting your database up like this at
all. Remember, a database is very complex, and you have a lot of background
and maintenance processes that need to run.

As far as why it's dying, it's hard to say, but I don't see anything in your
config file about the port to listen on... is it that simple? I'm not sure,
but it's worth a look.

--Scott