Re: Fwd: Reversing flow of WAL shipping

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: David Jantzen <djantzen(at)ql2(dot)com>
Cc: "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Reversing flow of WAL shipping
Date: 2009-10-22 17:36:58
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:28 PM, David Jantzen <djantzen(at)ql2(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response Joshua, much appreciated. Is there any
> way to avoid or minimize a period without a warm standby when I switch
> to Server B for production? What about rsyncing the data directory
> from Server B to Server C after B goes live?

I have seen it work before if server B's archive_command puts logs into the
same directory that server A was putting them. After the switch you need to
stop and then restart server C, it should pick up the new timeline.

Note: I did try this on 8.3 and it works... I would however note that you
have many cogs with this and that (my preferred) safest strategy is to do a
resync just as JD described. Using what I just talked about may end up
causing more downtime in the event of a failure then it would take to just
resync the database in general. I should also say that I only tried this on
a database of about 3 GB with only about 1 day's worth usage.

--Scott