Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Konstantin Gredeskoul <kig(at)dropinmedia(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable
Date: 2009-06-16 05:24:09
Lists: pgsql-admin
OP: Downgrade to your original version, then do a pg_dump.I'm not sure the
yum command to do this, but there must be some.  To be version specific you
can look at the PG_VERSION file in your data directory.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> This is NOT yum's fault.  PostgreSQL does not guarantee data directory
> consistency from one rc to another, through beta, etc.  Until 8.4.0
> comes out, it could change each and every time.

   I agree it's not YUM's fault... however, I think it may make sense for
those of us in the community to work with packagers on this issue.  I
realize that RPM's are supposed to keep all files everywhere up to date, and
it's nice to have them all in /usr/bin, but this can cause big problems in
this case.  Would it not make more sense to simply install in
/usr/pgsql/<version> ??  And have /var/lib/pgsql/<version>/pgdata?  I guess
this has just never been a thought in packager's minds, but is a serious
problem once you use a database for more than your personal CD collection
:-).

   Of course, in-place upgrade *may* resolve some of these types of queries,
but personally, I would rather have each version of the database binaries
around in case all goes very, very wonky.

--Scott