Re: Unexpected query plan results

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Dutcher <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com>
Cc: Anne Rosset <arosset(at)collab(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unexpected query plan results
Date: 2009-05-29 19:08:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Dave Dutcher <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com> wrote:

> > From: Anne Rosset
> > Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Unexpected query plan results
> > >

> > Thank Dave. We are using postgresql-server-8.2.4-1PGDG and
> > have work-mem set to 20MB.
> > What value would you advise?
> > thanks,
> >
> > Anne
>

> Work-mem is kind of tricky because the right setting depends on how much
> ram
> your machine has, is the machine dedicated to postgres, and how many
> simultaneous connections you have. If this is a test server, and not used
> in production, you could just play around with the setting and see if your
> query gets any faster.

Right, the trick to remember is that you could possibly end up in a
scenario where you have max_connections * work_mem being used just for
sorting / joins and the rest of your memory will be swapped, so be careful
not to push too high. Also, work_mem is not going to be fully allocated at
fork time, it'll only use up to that much as needed.

--Scott