Re: Authentication Failed - new user installation

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: ray <Ray(dot)Joseph(at)cdicorp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Authentication Failed - new user installation
Date: 2009-03-28 16:21:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 3:51 AM, ray <Ray(dot)Joseph(at)cdicorp(dot)com> wrote:

> I have installed 8.2 on a Windows 2000 laptop.
>
> I think it is installed. From the pgAdmin, it shows "Servers (1)" and
> it is named PostgreSQL Database Server 8.2 (localhost:5432). Right
> clicking for says I can stop services or disconnect so I am guessing
> that it is running.
>
> Is that correct?

That is correct. If you saw a red 'X' over the icon next to " PostgreSQL
Database Server 8.2 (localhost:5432)" then the server would be offline.

> Under that, there is a Databases(1) folder with the component
> "postgres". Right clicking on it does not give a choice to start or
> stop. What is this telling me?

Nothing :) A server (aka database cluster) can be started or stopped.
Once started, a database server has multiple databases that you can connect
to within it. If you drill-down beyond the 'postgres' database, you will
see 'schemas'. Drill down further and you will see 'tables' etc...

> On the file menu, when I select "add server" and fill in the boxes, I
> get an error message "An error has occurred: Error connecting to the
> server: FATAL: password authentication failed for user
> myadminaccnt."

The username / password will not be the same as your windows logon. It
will be the postgres database username / password.

> When I setup 8.3, I used my myadminaccnt password for the
> installation, I used it again on the next request for a password. So
> I have used only it for all the requested passwords.

Try the username 'postgres' when connecting to another server.

To be honest though, I don't think you need to do this, it sounds like you
just need to drill further into the 'postgres' database in the tree.

> I don't know if this has any relationship, but when I installed 8.3, I
> tried to use myadminaccnt as the user name but it said that was
> missing a right so I elected to let 8.3 build a user "postgreadmin"
> with the same password.

That is a user that was created in the operating system.

Postgres has 2 types of users:

*) OS user
There is only one of these (in your case). When postgres starts (look
at the services control panel) it uses that windows logon to run the
service. Postgres cannot be run as a 'root' or 'admin' user for security
reasons, so the installer creates a user for you.

*) Database users
These are users inside the database cluster that have privileges on each
table / object within the database. These users can be named the same as OS
users, but for all intensive purposes, are in no way releated to windows
users.

> How can I go forward? When I build this again on another machine, how
> do I avoid this problem?

I'm not really sure you have a problem, just spend some more time clicking
'+' signs in pgAdmin :)

--Scott