Re: [sfpug] Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth(at)sqlpower(dot)ca>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [sfpug] Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?
Date: 2009-02-05 17:36:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacysfpug
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com> wrote:
> I can provide all manner of camera equipment and sound goodies for "record
> now / play back later" video, and will be happy to help tape meetings (video
> production is my day job).  The trick is getting the streaming part set up.
>  You need:
>
> 1. A machine that can do the on-the-fly encoding;
> 2. A fast enough link to upload it in realtime;
> 3. A content delivery network to push it out.
>
> This might be an opportunity to approach some of the CDNs to see if they'd
> be up for doing this as corporate sponsorship.  I have a mate who works at
> BitGravity, and I'll approach him about it.

I don't think anybody has mentioned ustream yet. When I was working on
the Blinkenlights Stereoscope installation, we used ustream to
distribute a live video feed of the building around the world. We also
used it ourselves for monitoring, since we were in the building. It
worked fine! The round-trip delay was maybe 3-4 seconds.

It does require a machine that supports audio and video capture via
Adobe Flash Player, but plug a firewire camera into pretty much any
Mac, and you've got that taken care of.

See http://www.ustream.tv/get-started for details.

-Jonathan