Re: Missing password

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: guillaume lemire <giantlem(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing password
Date: 2009-09-17 05:28:18
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:40 AM, guillaume lemire <giantlem(at)hotmail(dot)com>wrote:

>  I've just downloaded the new version of postgreSQL 8.4.1 with windows
> vista running on my computer.
>
> While i was installing it, one of the steps asks for a password witch I
> think i don't have but they tell me it's not the right one. Here is what is
> written:
>
> ''Please provide a password for the database superuser (postgre) and
> service account (postgre). If the service account already exists in Windows,
> you must enter the current password for the account. If the account does not
> exist, it will be created when you clikc ''Next''.
>
> I don't think I have a password for this so I've tried some and when I
> click ''Next'' here's what is written:
>
> ''The password specified was incorrect. Please enter the correct password
> for the postgres windows user account''
>
> If I have one, I don't know it. How can I find what it is?

The “postgres” user already created in your windows user account. You can
reset the password at the operating system level. To do this on Windows, do
the following:

1) Right click on the 'My Computer'  desktop icon  ( or if the icon is not
on the desktop, open the start menu and right click on the 'My Computer'
menu item)
2) Choose 'Manage' from the pop up menu
3) Expand the 'Local Users and Groups' folder
4) Expand the 'Users' folder
5) On the right hand side of the screen, you will see all the users defined
on the system.
6) You can right click on the “postgres” user name and choose 'Set Password'
and then change it to something else Apply the same password of “postgres”
user at the time installation level and installation goes successfully.

Thanks & Regards
Raghu Ram