Re: qualified names

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: manaus <s_incocciati(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: qualified names
Date: 2009-09-14 02:32:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 11:08 PM, manaus <s_incocciati(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
> If I set search_path to one of the schemas, I can use psql without writing
> the qualified names.
> In my application instead the server returns error if I dont use select *
> from myschema.mytable.
> Is this fixable?
>

> We can achieve in two ways for that:

a. Make "Jforum'' << new schema name>> the default schema for a session

b. Make "Jforum" <<new schema name>> the default schema permanently

a)* That can be done by session level **using the following steps**: *

First, check the search_path variable by running:

show search_path;

sample output: "$user", public, sys, dbo

Then add the schema by running:

SET search_path to "$user", jforum, public, sys, dbo (Where jforum is the
new schema)

Now if you create any new tables they will be part of the 'jforum' schema
for a specific session in “psql” until you do a \q and quit out from the
“psql”. You have to do it again if you login again from “psql” as it is for
one session only.

b) *That can be done permanently** **using the following steps*

1. Stop your database server

2. Open the postgresql.conf file in your 'data' folder and then search for
'search_path' variable. By default the value for 'search_path variable be
like

search_path = '$user,pulic,sys,dbo'

Please change it in the following way for your schema Jforum:

search_path = '$user,jforum,pulic,sys,dbo'

3. Now after the change is done, save and close the postgresql.conf file.

4. Start the database server.

Now when you do:

create table test1(a number);

That will be made automatically in the 'jforum' schema.

Thanks & Regards

Raghu Ram