Re: How to install postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe by ZIP archive binaries

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Newperson <useintowngas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to install postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe by ZIP archive binaries
Date: 2009-09-11 08:46:27
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Newperson <useintowngas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>    I want to install postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe, however when I click
> the exe file, a Visual studio JIT Debugger was appeared with message "An
> unhandled win32 exception occurred in postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe[240].
>   Also I do not have admin priviledges, so I decide to install it by ZIP
> archive binaries.
>   I have read a post
> but do not know how to "run initdb from the commandline to create the
> database cluster. To start the server, simply run "pg_ctl -D
> \Path\To\Datadir start".
> Can anyone tell me how to do this?
>  Moreover, what is the difference between the two methods of installations?
> (from exe and binaries)
> My OS system is windows XP.

Using binaries you have to create the database cluster and start the service

Creation of database cluster using initdb.exe binaries and start the
postgres service using pg_ctl.exe binaries in command prompt as follows:-

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>initdb.exe –D < data directory path>

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>pg_ctl.exe –D < data directory path>

Using postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe, installer will creates the database
cluster and start the Postgres service automatically. download the one click
installer from below link

Thanks & Regards
Raghu Ram