Re: Prevent conflicting SET options from being set

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prevent conflicting SET options from being set
Date: 2005-03-22 03:11:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes

> We already have the ability to issue custom messages in assign_hooks,
> and I think that's sufficient in practice.

Yes, I agree this is already sufficient - seems we need to remove that TODO
item in the list.

> A bigger problem with making cross-variable validity checks is that you
> can't really do it per-variable without falling foul of ordering
> considerations. For instance, the existing checks in
> assign_stage_log_stats and assign_log_stats are ill-considered because
> they may reject a postgresql.conf file that turns one variable on before
> turning the other off.

This problem also applies to "debug_pretty_print" and "debug_print_parse". A
possible but costly solution is that after each SET, we have to validate
*all* the GUC variables again to see if there is any conflicts.

Regards,
Qingqing