Re: PgAdmin browses all tables, even those not allowed

From: F T <oukile(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgAdmin browses all tables, even those not allowed
Date: 2010-01-20 10:45:22
Lists: pgadmin-support

Thank for your answer.

There are advantages / disavantages for end-users with the 2 solutions

Solution 1:
Let the end-user see only the schemas/tables he is allowed to use (as Oracle
SQL Developper does, for example) :
+ : easy to retrieve their data without been lost if the database
has a lot of schemas/tables
- : if the end user tries to create a table, he won't know the
possible existence of the table before his request fails.

Solution 2 (actual behaviour) :
Let the end user see only all the schemas/tables of the database
+ : before trying to create a table, you can see what already
exists
- : it may be hard to retrieve their tables if the database has
a lot of schemas/tables, and the end user knows if he can view or use the
data only after he has click on a table and received an error message.

Fabrice