Re: Clusters and pgsql

From: dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com (Mike Castle)
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clusters and pgsql
Date: 2003-08-25 03:39:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

In article <20030823095009(dot)S26407-100000(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>,
Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Aarni [iso-8859-1] Ruuhimki wrote:
>
>> He ? And excuse me, but what are you on about, Ron ?
>
>Many machines may access the server through the communications protocol,
>but only one should be directly accessing the on-disk data files.

I don't know about Oscar, but with FreeMosix, the cluster appears to the
application to be more or less like one multi-cpu machine. The kernel
patches hide everything from the application.

However, last I heard, FreeMosix won't do SysV shared memory, which Postgres
requires.

Also, FreeMosix works better on CPU intensive applications; I'd think the
disk usage Postgres requires would negate any speed up you'd get by
migrating the process to a different machine.

mrc
--
Mike Castle dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen