Re: Version information in docs

From: Thomas F(dot)O'Connell <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Version information in docs
Date: 2005-03-28 16:03:49
Lists: pgsql-docs

For comparison, the MySQL docs seem to stay monolithic, at least
online. As in, they don't provide a different version of the manual for
3.23, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, etc.

They have a single manual that seems to be pretty thorough about the
version in which various features came online.

I haven't concluded which style of documentation is more intuitive, but
when I've had to use MySQL, it has been nice to be able to go to one
document and look to see whether something has been implemented and
also when it was implemented. I suppose the same thing could be
achieved if the manual itself were versioned rather than individual
features being versioned, but you do have to look through various
versions of the manual if you're tracking features in PostgreSQL. If
you were dealing with multiple versions, it could become tedious. I've
dealt with many different versions of MySQL, and it is definitely handy
to have a history in single pages for features. Granted, the feature
set and SQL compatibility for MySQL have been much more volatile than
for PostgreSQL in the past few years, so maybe it's more striking and
necessary for them.

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell