Re: AT TIME ZONE

From: Shahbaz Javeed <sjaveed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AT TIME ZONE
Date: 2004-08-24 19:16:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Folks,

I wonder whether this TODO item also covers cases such as inserting
into a table where one field is time in the local timezone and the
other is time in GMT.  Not sure if such a thing is desirable or even
possible (in the SQL standard).  The syntax I'm imagining feels pretty
awkward.

I guess the select syntax would allow storing gmt in both fields but
extracting one as local and the other as gmt.

Shahbaz

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:46:23 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > TODO entry?
>
> * Merge hardwired timezone names with the TZ database; allow either kind
>   everywhere a TZ name is currently taken
> * allow customization of the known set of TZ names (generalize the
>   present australian_timezones hack)
>
> I'm not sure whether we already have an entry for the latter.

Shahbaz Javeed