Re: Tyan Thunder MB for postgres server

From: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tyan Thunder MB for postgres server
Date: 2004-12-15 23:29:58
Lists: pgsql-admin
Iain wrote:
> Upon further investigation, I think this the way to go, specificaly
> I'llbe recommending the 320-2 as I plan to put the WAL and DB on
> seperate channels and partitions (as opposed to to putting them on the
> same logical partition split over the two channels).

SOmething to think about. Let's suppose a channel/cable completely dies.
How would you protect against it? Split a logical mirror device over 2
channels.

Another trick I've started doing with my MegaRAID setups is mirroring in
hardware but striping in software. To do 100% hardware RAID-10 MegaRAID
cards, all drives must have the same geometry. Not a big deal when
you're first configuring a server but a few years down the line when a
drive dies and you need a replacement, it can drive you up the wall. I
had a set of IBM 36GBs that needed a replacement -- couldn't find any
old stock so I decided to get the newest IBM (Hitachi) 36GBs -- NOT THE
SAME GEOMETRY!(at)!@!#!$##

After learning that lesson, I did some testing with mirroring. LSI is
much less stringent for mirroring. I was able to pair a Seagate + IBM
and still get a valid mirror drive. I then use Linux software RAID to
stripe 2 mirror volumes together.