Re: Tyan Thunder MB for postgres server

From: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tyan Thunder MB for postgres server
Date: 2004-12-14 07:09:10
Lists: pgsql-admin
I've used a slew of LSI controllers (22915A, integrated 53C1010,
22320-R, MegaRAID 320-1) and they've all performed w/o issues. Now I
have had some hardware die though. One was probably our fault -- during
an attempted upgrade, we probably weren't careful enough with the
22320-R (cramped #(at)#@$! rackmounts) and after we reinstalled it, it just
never worked right again.

Otherwise, if you leave it alone, they work pretty good. I've got a 4
15K disks (software RAID10) attached to a 22915A in a 2x Opteron 244
server running FC2 64-bit.  This machine is deadly fast; every so often,
iostat will show peak transfer rates of 160MB/s. (RAID
cage+rackmount problems stopped us from upgrading to hardware
raid+battery -- we'll tackle this again when we get a 4U case.)