Re: RC1 MSI Installer

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RC1 MSI Installer
Date: 2004-12-10 22:35:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Magnus Hagander wrote on 05.12.2004 22:06:
> The RC1 MSI installer has been released, and is available from the
> pgFoundry page on http://pgfoundry.projects.postgresql.org.
> It will also be available from the ftp mirrors shortly in /pub/win32.
> Please use the ftp sites for download if possible, so pgFoundry doesn't
> burn up..

I just tried it and I have three comments, not sure if these are bugs, or
if this is intended:

1) when choosing not to install the service, the data directory will not be
initialized even if it's option is selected. I gues the reason is, that
without a running backend the installer cannot do the initdb, but without
the service there is no way to start the backend?

2) I did not find UNICODE in the available encodings when initializing the
data directory.

3) I think it would be a good idea to offer an additional option to install
a default database & user so that one can work with the system right after
the installation has finished.

Cheers
Thomas