10K vs 15k rpm for analytics

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
To: Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Date: 2010-03-02 20:42:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

Anyone has any experience doing analytics with postgres. In particular if
10K rpm drives are good enough vs using 15K rpm, over 24 drives. Price
difference is $3,000.

Rarely ever have more than 2 or 3 connections to the machine.

So far from what I have seen throughput is more important than TPS for the
queries we do. Usually we end up doing sequential scans to do
summaries/aggregates.