PIT Recovery of only certain database in the "cluster" ?‏

From: Dem Fra Hedehusene i Danmark <post_overalt(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql novice PostgreSQL forum support <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PIT Recovery of only certain database in the "cluster" ?‏
Date: 2011-03-11 09:20:33
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

We are contemplating some migrations to PostgreSQL, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to use the Continuous Archiving feature on the instance for our databases.

We would like to have, say a database for each application , in our cluster/instance.
And use continuous archiving to be able to maximize our chance of not loosing any data... And do Point In Tiem recovery of any of the databases.

So : one instance/cluster with many databases, and the ability to restore any of them to any point in time, just like "some other RDBMS" ;)

However - when reading about the WAL, it seems they are covering *all* databases in our cluster/instance ?

And then it is only possible to do PIT recovery/restore on all databases - so all applications will be nuked back to whatever time we restore to ?

Any suggestions on how to accommodate the wish that each database should be able to do PIT recovery ?

Do we need to create only one single database in it's own instance/cluster and then do WAL backup/continous archiving on that - or ?
Or should we use pg_dump every 15 minutes and say they will loose max 15minutes data if a single database must be restored... ?

Or have I completely mixed up Oracle/ PostgreSQL terminology :) ?

Regards,
Brian

pgsql-novice by date

Previous:From: Dem Fra Hedehusene i DanmarkDate: 2011-03-11 09:13:51