Use of zlib

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Use of zlib
Date: 2004-09-23 11:02:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Problem:
PL/Java use a JVM. On some platforms and with some JVM's (Sun's in
particular) a libzip.so is bundled that contains a 1.1.3 version of
functions also provided in zlib (why they do this is beyond me, but they
do so I'll have to live with it). PostgreSQL is linked with zlib by
default. This resuls in a conflict which resuls in a JVM crash.

I can circumvein this crash by using LD_PRELOAD to force a load of the
JVM bundled libzip.so but I suspect that might result in a crash as soon
as PostgreSQL calls on zlib to do something. It's of course possible to
configure postgresql with --without-zlib also provided you have accesst
o the source.

Question:
 From what I can understand from the documentation, the only utility in
PostgreSQL that actually uses zlib is pg_dump? If so, why is the
postgres process linked with -lz?

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren

Next:From: Thomas HallgrenDate: 2004-09-23 11:10:32