return set different in psql and MS Access/ODBC

From: jarednevans(at)yahoo(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: return set different in psql and MS Access/ODBC
Date: 2004-08-17 16:46:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

I need to know why MS Access/ODBC is reporting different results than
psql.

I created a very simple function below:

------------------
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public."Return_Some_Text"()
RETURNS SETOF varchar AS
'DECLARE

BEGIN
return next \'HCM00101\';
return next \'HCM00102\';
return next \'HCM00104\';
return next \'HCM00112\';
return;
END;'
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;
------------------

When I use the function inside psql (it works):
testdb2=# select * from "HCM_Primary_Keys"();
HCM_Primary_Keys
------------------
HCM00101
HCM00102
HCM00104
HCM00112
(4 rows)

But when I use MS Access/ODBC with the same SQL statement:
I only see one row "HCM00101" when I'm expecting 4 rows back just like
in psql.

What can I do so that MS/Access/ODBC shows all 4 rows rather than the
first one?

Jared