Storing binary data.

From: Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Storing binary data.
Date: 2004-08-11 14:29:46
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi.

Please be a bit patient.. I'm quite new to PostgreSQL.

I'd like some advise on storing binary data in the database.

Currently I have about 300.000 320.000 Bytes "Bytea" records in the
database. It works quite well but I have a feeling that it actually is
slowing the database down on queries only related to the surrounding
attributes.

The "common" solution, I guess would be to store them in the filesystem
instead, but I like to have them just in the database it is nice clean
database and application design and if I can get PostgreSQL to "not
cache" them then it should be excactly as fast i assume.

The binary data is not a part of most queries in the database only a few
explicitly written to fetch them and they are not accessed very often.

What do people normally do?

Thanks, Jesper

--
./Jesper Krogh, jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc