About method of PostgreSQL's Optimizer

From: Pryscila B Guttoski <pryscila(dot)lista(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: About method of PostgreSQL's Optimizer
Date: 2005-09-13 22:50:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Hello all!

On my master course, I'm studying the PostgreSQL's optimizer.
I don't know if anyone in this list have been participated from the
PostgreSQL's Optimizer development, but maybe someone can help me on this
question.
PostgreSQL generates all possible plans of executing the query (using an
almost exhaustive search), then gives a cost to each plan and finally the
cheapest one is selected for execution.
There are other methods for query optimization, one of them is based on plan
transformations (for example, using A-Star algorithm) instead of plan
constructions used by PostgreSQL.
Does anyone know why this method was choosen? Are there any papers or
researches about it?

Thank's a lot,
Pryscila.