Re: Comparing Enumerated Types between JDBC and ODBC drivers

From: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
To: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-odbc <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Comparing Enumerated Types between JDBC and ODBC drivers
Date: 2010-12-22 14:11:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbcpgsql-odbc
 Hi,

 First, You need to distinguish between SQL COMPLEX / COMPOSITE types
 (sometimes called as UDT) and PSQL internal types. Interval is internal
 type, such like integer, varchar, etc and it's mapped in JDBC to Java
 object from PSQL JDBC api. There is no public (JDK, OO, SUN) for
 Interval, but you have right in your situation you can get this type by
 calling getString() and you will get it's compatible representation, as
 well setString() should store those, too. You can find internal types
 which doesn't have mapping to any Java class, too.

 If you want SQL COMPOSITE types, only one way to access them (as I
 think), is similarly, by get/set String. JDBC driver doesn't support
 custom mapping of UDT to Java classes.

 It's looks ODBC driver has better support for PSQL.

 Kind regards,
 Radosław Smogura