Re: please please please PLEASE help!

From: Steve <steve(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: please please please PLEASE help!
Date: 2004-07-30 00:18:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Kris Kiger wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Are the three SCSI drives raided? If so, I would move the operating
> database to that machine. From what I understand it can be a real
> hassle to setup/maintain sym-linked tables. If you don't have the
> option to move the database, I would explore one of these two routes:
> Route one is replication. Slony1 was just released to the open
> source community. Replicate the data to the new machine, then
> distribute the database reads between the master and the slave.
> Route two is symlink database logs/txlogs/etc to the new machine. It
> takes extra write needs off of your main machine. Not as effective as
> route 1, I would say, but it would definately lessen the load.
>
> Kris

Thanks for replying Kris. Yes, the SCSI drives are raided. I believe in
that case I don't really need to do anything other than moving the
database to that machine? I think the drives are striped every 12K or
so, but I'm not sure. Moving it to the new machine has made it a lot
faster than before. It has around 2GB RAM and is a dual processor 3.0
Ghz Intel xeon. I've also 'chattr -R +A /path/to/data/dir' the database
and I think it has made a slight difference. I'll test it a bit more and
see if I can do something else to improve the speed.

Steve