Re: What is the right way to deal with a table with rows that are not in a random order?

From: Douglas Alan <darkwater42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: What is the right way to deal with a table with rows that are not in a random order?
Date: 2009-05-28 19:12:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>  OTOH, if you've got it all sussed out, then ignore the request for more information.

I don't *know* if I have it "all sussed out", but I *do* know why
Postgres is doing what it is doing in this particular case. It's
assuming that the value in question is evenly distributed throughout
the table, when in actuality, the value in question is clustered at
the very end of the table.

What I don't have sussed out his how best to address this issue.

The most obvious solution would be an option to tell Postgres not to
assume that the value is evenly distributed throughout the table, and
to take account of the fact that the data in question might very well
be clustered at the very end of the table.