Re: Help Needed

From: Adrian Maier <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ameya S(dot) Sakhalkar" <ameya(at)cse(dot)iitb(dot)ac(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help Needed
Date: 2004-12-27 10:55:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 07:55:27 +0530 (IST), Ameya S. Sakhalkar
<ameya(at)cse(dot)iitb(dot)ac(dot)in> wrote:

> For my project (main memory DBMS), I have written a main memory filesystem.
> Idea is, the primary copy of data will reside in main memory. (Workable
> only for small size data, at most 2GB).
>
> Now, I want to plug this filesystem with Postgres, so that, instead of
> Unix filesystem, this main memory filesystem(MMFS) will now store the
> data.

I believe that all you need to do is to mount your filesystem somewhere,
and then tell postgres to use that directory for storing the database files.

1. Mount your filesystem to a directory, e.g /mnt/mem_drive
(possibly : mount -t mmfs /dev/mmfs /mnt/mem_drive)
2. export PG_DATA=/mnt/mem_drive
3. initdb
4. pg_ctl start

I hope this helps.