work on extending PostgreSQL to data integration systems

From: "Lee Riquelmei" <lestat(dot)pgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: work on extending PostgreSQL to data integration systems
Date: 2006-10-31 18:13:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hello, everybody,

I am developing a postgresql-based distributed relational data integration
system which is like the IBM DB2 Information Integrator. And I have started
a pgfoundry project: .(codes on it have
already been obsolete.)

The goal of the system is to provide a collection of virtual views in a
pgsql database to integrate data from various distributed, heterogeneous and
autonomous data sources. To achieve this goal, I did my work in two aspects:
(1) outside pgsql:  The system utilizes various wrappers to interact with
data sources. A well-defined wrapper interface is presented, which allows
for implementations of concrete wrappers using any language , such as
pl/java. In nature, a wrapper is a collection of pgsql functions which
consists of the function for obtaining metadata of a data source, the
function for exectuing SQL in data source and etc.

(2) inside pgsql: Several modifictions to pgsql is used to improve the
performance of processing data integration queries including the pipelined
FunctionScan operator and support of query

The developing work is still ongoing, although an initial version of the
system has already been used in a real application in China. This version
consists of a wrapper for PostgreSQL using libpq and a wrapper for MS SQL
SERVER using pl/java and JDBC.  Currently, I have not published all sources
and not provided good documents in the pgfoundry projects. But I will do it
quickly. If anyone is interested in the system, pls contact me.

I have a question. Does the PostgreSQL project have any plan of adding data
integration functionalities in the PostgreSQL system as other DBMS vendors

Yours sincerely,

Lee Rubao