Re: troubles after updating from 7.4.2 to 7.4.3

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: troubles after updating from 7.4.2 to 7.4.3
Date: 2004-06-25 03:06:44
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Hans,

I have certain basic steps I follow when running Cygwin's setup.exe to
update my Cygwin install.  Might help.

1.  Shutdown all Cygwin processes.
2.  Run setup.exe and update packages as usual.
3.  Run Cygwin BASH and execute following:

	$ cygcheck -c > packages.lst

     Filename unimportant & used as example.  cygcheck will validate your
     installed packages with an 'OK'.  I output info to file so it's
     easier to peruse.
4.  I check the output from #4 with

	$ less packages.lst

     If you see any that do NOT have 'OK' next to them, note them.  Then
     repeat from step #1 until all packages say 'OK'.  I have found that
     sometimes when using setup.exe, some of the packages apparently can
     be mangled (or at least cygcheck thinks so).
5.  Once all is well install-wise, I do one last thing:

	$ chmod a+rx /usr/bin /usr/bin/*

     This is because sometimes the file permissions are not set right in
     /usr/bin, and that is where postgres.exe is.

This last step is likely your issue.  After updating, it's possible
postgres.exe's file permissions were not set right.  If you simply type

	$ postgres

what do you get?  If it comes back 'command not found', there ya go.
File permissions.  If postgres is set right, you should get an error
message from postgres itself about not being able to find the data
directory, etc.

Hope this helps.