Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:VbulletinForum

From: "Thomas Hallgren" <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:VbulletinForum
Date: 2004-06-23 10:41:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
""Donnacha Mac Gloinn"" <postgresql(dot)org(at)donnacha(dot)com> writes:
> Well, that's the problem, by deploying abstraction they ALLOW you to use
> PostgreSQL but they don't take advantage of it's strengths.  Or, indeed,
> MySQL's strengths!  What's the point?
> As a simple matter of logic, you should never dilute your control unless
> there's a highly compelling reason.

You just answered your own question. An abstraction rocks too unless it's
badly written. It gives you full freedom to choose. While I don't doubt that
PostgreSQL is an excellent choice in most cases, there might be reasons not
to use it. The use of BSD licensed software is not an obvious choice in many
organisations. Personally, I'd never encourage anyone to hardcode an
application for a specific database.

"never dilute control" == "always use an abstraction"

Kind regards,

Thomas Hallgren