windows installation

From: raymond <raymond(dot)szebin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: windows installation
Date: 2005-04-01 10:33:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

hi.
this is not really an installation issue, but i read the instruction
atop of the list, so here we are.

ok.
i succesfully installed postgresql 8 on my windows xp sp2 machine, few
weeks ago. i am a newbie to sql generally, as well as to postrges
i configured my server to run on localhost, everything was fine. i
need to mention that the machine is part of a active directory
network, corporate 350+ machines, policies, etc.
the thing is that i haven't started postrges for about a week, during
wich time i have not made changes to the machine, nor installed any
software that could affect the performance/security/policy allready
running on my machine, a p4 -3,2 HT, 512 DDR, 80 GBsata, a rather nice
machine, otherwise.
when i tried to connect to the database, i received an error, that i
cannot connect to the database as a superuser. i have configured
.\postgre to run automatically on system start, and worked just fine.
i only modifyed the tmplate to logon to a custom test database, but i
worked fine everytime before the pause i already mentioned.
after varoius error messages, error log, etc i discovered the service
to have been disabled, and set for deletion. as i could not modify
it's state through "normal" procedure - mmc console, i
regedit-modifyed the service's state to autimatic from disabled. the
thing is, that when i attempt to start, i get an error message that
the service could not start because it is eighter disabled, or has no
devices attached to it. in the service's propeties box, at the
start parameters box - blank. if i need start parameters can u please
give me some feedback on this regard, or if there's something else,
please let me know.
i checked with the network admin, and there is no change lately in the pilocies.
i guess it's useful to know that there is a concurrent-login
prohibiton policy, and event log says

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff