Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Update: < * Allow adding enumerated values to an existing

From: "Tom Dunstan" <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas OSB SD" <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Update: < * Allow adding enumerated values to an existing
Date: 2008-04-28 11:49:32
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Zeugswetter Andreas OSB SD
<Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at> wrote:
> I think you are not considering existing btree indexes here
> (for the reordering case) ?

You're quite right, I had not considered existing indexes. There's no
easy way to deal with that other than rebuilding them. :(

I *still* think someone with a big table would prefer to drop/create
their indexes rather than go through a nasty ALTER COLUMN which would
have the seemingly much worse outcome of rebuilding their whole table
AND any indexes. But whatever - I'll implement option 1 and submit it,
as a marked improvement over the status quo. If I can make option 2
work fast enough I'll consider submitting it as a feature improvement
thereafter, but given the general consensus for option 1 I'm not
pushing option 2 much any more.

Cheers

Tom