Re: Block at a time ...

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pierre C <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Block at a time ...
Date: 2010-03-22 21:06:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

This is why pre-allocation is a good idea if you have the space ....

Tom, what about a really simple command in a forthcoming release of PG that
would just preformat a 1GB file at a time? This is what I've always done
scripted with Oracle (ALTER TABLESPACE foo ADD DATAFILE ....) rather than
relying on its autoextender when performance has been a concern.

Cheers
Dave