Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pierre C <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Corin <wakathane(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Subject: Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Date: 2010-03-22 15:32:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

Absolutely ...

- for fixed size rows with a lot of small updates, Oracle wins. BTW, as of
Oracle 9 they're called "UNDO tablesapces"
- for lots of transactions and feely mixing transactions of all sizes, MVCC
tables (Postgres) wins
- if you just want a structured filesystem and don't have integrity
requirements or a lot of updates, MyISAM wins

For our app, Oracle would be the best, but it isn't strictly necessary so
Postgres wins on price ;-)

Cheers
Dave