Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice? (v2)

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tony McC <afmcc(at)btinternet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice? (v2)
Date: 2010-01-16 01:37:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

Just opinion, and like Greg, I was suggesting it along the lines of "it's
the platform most production PG instances run on, so you're following a well
trodden path, and any issue you encounter is likely to have been found and
fixed by someone else".

It's not about the general suitability of the OS as a database platform, or
its feature set, it's about a combination of specific versions of OS,
kernel, DB etc that are known to work reliably.

I am curious about the write barrier and shmem issues that other folks have
alluded to ... I am pretty new to using PG, but I've used other databases on
Linux in production (mostly Oracle, some MySQL) which also use these kernel
resources and never encountered problems related to them even under very
high loads.

I'd also like to know what OS'es the PG core folks like Tom use.

Cheers
Dave