Relational DB's & pics - a long business-related question

From: "Eric Matthew Finnin" <emf(dot)storage(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Relational DB's & pics - a long business-related question
Date: 2006-07-14 05:35:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to give his/her opinion on this...

My Questions: Is Postgres an ideal program to use as the backbone of a
website/program that links pictures with traditional database info?
And, is there a frontend that would be easy to use to enter data by
people who know nothing about SQL? I'm thinking something with an MS
Access-like interface.

Background: Over the past several months I've been teaching myself
SQL through Postgres, well, just because it seems like something good
to know. So I'm familiar with the program and SQL, but I'm far from
an expert. I recently started a new job and I mentioned how much more
efficient sales would go if items, prices, etc., were organized into a
database rather than (non-uniform) spreadsheets. I was comfortable &
eager to do this - I figured the experience would benefit me and my
company. While bringing this up, my head boss agreed with me and
spoke of his interest in a database that also included pictures of our
items (I'm guessing a few thousand items), so that anyone in the
company, whether they be in sales or operations, be able to track an
item down visually and get specifics on the particular item. His idea
was something that looked like ebay (i.e., picture on the left,
relevant info on the right), but included relevant company info rather
than price/auction info. Obviously, I'm not qualified to fully
develop this project, but I know it'll go no where unless I push it.

So I'm wondering, what are the pieces that need to be put together to
get it this to work? I assume this would involve developing an
(internal) website that accesses a database of information and
pictures. Would Postgresql be an ideal program for this? MS Access
is ideal for data entry by people who are familiar with spreadsheets,
but have no knowledge of SQL. Is there an extension or software
related to Postgres that is ideal for data entry for people used to
visual/mouse-based computing? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Eric