Re: BUG #1437: converting column from text to int4 requires USING

From: Kim Hansen <kimhanse(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1437: converting column from text to int4 requires USING
Date: 2005-01-24 01:29:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> From: "Kim Hansen" <k(at)oek(dot)dk>
> To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:41:10 GMT
> Subject: BUG #1437: converting column from text to int4 requires USING

> Bug reference: 1437
> Logged by: Kim Hansen
> Email address: k(at)oek(dot)dk
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.0
> Operating system: Windows
> Details:

I have just found out that this isn't a bug. I just didn't know that
there was a difference between 'assignment cast' and 'implicit cast'.

I think that the error message from line 3 is misleading as line 4
casts column a into int4. Perhaps a HINT: could be added that an
explicit typecast might be needed.

Regards,
--
Kim Hansen