COPY command and required file permissions

From: Harold A(dot) Giménez Ch(dot) <harold(dot)gimenez(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "sql pgsql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: COPY command and required file permissions
Date: 2008-06-12 13:31:45
Lists: pgsql-sql
Hi all,
In migrating an application from sql server to Postgres, I created a ruby
script that extracts csv files from sql server (from a windows box), then
SCPs them into a directory (/home/ruby_process) on the server running
Postgres (a Fedora core 8) and finally runs the Postgres COPY command for
each of the csv files.

When the script runs the COPY commnand, I get the following error (for the
genders table):

ERROR    C42501  M could not open file "/home/ruby_process/genders.csv" for
reading: Permission denied     Fcopy.c L1694   RCopyFrom (RuntimeError)

My question is, what are the set of permissions required to perform a
postgres copy?

I've set the permissions on the directory so that the postgres group owns
the directory and has read and execute permissions, as follows:
drwxrwxr-x 3 ruby_process postgres

I have also tried moving the files to /tmp and performing the copy from
there, unsuccesfuly.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,
-Harold

pgsql-sql by date