[Cross-post] initdb failed on Windows 2003 Advanced Server

From: "Ivaylo Mutafchiev" <ism_NoSpamPlease(at)mail(dot)bg>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [Cross-post] initdb failed on Windows 2003 Advanced Server
Date: 2004-05-11 08:32:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

For some time I'm using a well-working (for me) Cygwin distribution -
v1.3.2, PostgreSql 7.3.2, CygIPC v.1.13.2, PsqlODBC v.07_02_0005. I
configured and started it fine in the past on WinNT, Win2K Pro/Server, WinXP
Home/Pro. Recently I tried to manage it under Win2003 Advanced Server (as
allways, foolowing the "postgresql-7.3.2.README" located in
myDrive\cygwin\usr\doc\Cygwin).

I have cygIPC started, but initDB failed with the following message:
"The program 'postgres' is needed by initdb but was not found in the
directory /usr/bin. Check your installation."

I tryed to figure out what is wrong with my installation, checked initdb
script, tryed to correct it a bit, no success. Due to lack of time I have
had to switch to Win XP/Pro - everything went well with the same
distribution.

I'm curious - what was wrong with W2003 ? I tried to google this group, but
didn't found a relative topic (yet).
I'm not sure if I will have access to that 2003 box anymore, but would like
to have a correct answer in case of future Win2003 instalations.

I wouldn't like to upgade (if possible) to the latest CygWin/CygIpc
distribution due to missing time for investigation of differences/new bugs
and for rewriting of my GUI application in order to comply with the latest
requirements (as I did it when migrated to PostgreSql 7.3.2). I'm using
triggers, stored procedures, have optimization plan, etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Ivaylo Mutafchiev