Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.

From: "Thomas Hallgren" <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.
Date: 2004-04-27 18:49:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm a great fan of Java. Still, I firmly believe that pgsql should be the
language of choice as the one included by default. I think many users
consider the ability to write functions and triggers using SQL intermixed
with the DDL statements (create function etc.) as the only natural way of
doing it. All other languages implies either mixing languages in the same
file or splitting declaration and implementation into separate files.

Java is excellent when you want to extend the language beyond what's
possible using SQL. Examples might include soundex or image recognition
algorithms. XML is another area where server side Java might play a
significant role. But that's all beyond core server functionality.

If anything, I'd rather see the JDBC and ODBC drivers reinstated in the
release. More than 56% of the PostgreSQL users (according to the poll) uses
JDBC today. ODBC is merely 18% but that might change significantly when the
native Win32 port is released. I might have missed something altogether
here, my apologies if that's the case, but looking at the coming 7.5
release, 75% of the users will be forced to download stuff from more than
one location just to get their basic stuff running.

Kind regards,

Thomas Hallgren