Re: (FAQ?) JOIN condition - 'WHERE NULL = NULL'

From: "Ian Sillitoe" <ian(dot)sillitoe(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: "Ted Byers" <r(dot)ted(dot)byers(at)rogers(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (FAQ?) JOIN condition - 'WHERE NULL = NULL'
Date: 2008-04-03 10:00:46
Lists: pgsql-general

> > We are annotating nodes on a hierarchical structure
> > where NULL implied an
>
> I don't mean to be rude, but yuck. Why provide a
> record for data that isn't there?

No offence taken - I'm trying to improve an old (partially inherited)
system, hence the original post.

I have no idea if this model would work for you, but
> maybe it will help.

That approach all sounds sensible, however going through the links that Richard
Broersma sent over in a previous post - I'm currently leaning towards the
flexibility and intuitive interface that ltree contrib module appears to
offer.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/ltree.html

Cheers,

Ian