Re: How to improve insert speed with index on text column

From: Saurabh <saurabh(dot)b85(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to improve insert speed with index on text column
Date: 2012-01-30 17:46:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thank you for the information.

Schema of table is:

ID bigint
company_name text
data_set text
time timestamp
Date date

Length of company_name is not known so it is of datatype text. I need
to build the index on company_name and ID. And then insert the
records. I can not create the index after insertion because user can
search the data as well while insertion.

Machine is of 8 core, os centos6 and 8 GB of RAM.

Here is my configuration:

max_connections = 100
shared_buffers = 32MB
wal_buffers = 1024KB